Sarah P. Duke Gardens
Sarah P. Duke Gardens creates and nurtures an environment in the heart of Duke University for learning, inspiration and enjoyment through excellence in horticulture.
Sarah P. Duke Gardens is a premier public garden. Our living collections promote knowledge of the vital connections between people and plants, fostering an appreciation of the natural world, environmental awareness and sustainable practices. It is an indispensable and lasting feature of life at Duke University, accessible to all, providing outreach and respite to a diverse and vibrant local community and visitors from around the world.
- Excellence: We model excellence in horticultural display, educational programming, public garden management and sustainability.
- Beauty: Duke Gardens is an inspiring expression of art in nature.
- Inspiration: The environment we create and nurture lifts our visitors’ spirits, touches their hearts and engages their minds.
- Integrity: We act ethically and with respect in fulfillment of our mission, and in our relationships with staff, volunteers, visitors and all constituents.
- Stewardship: We conserve our natural resources and model best practices in environmental sustainability.
- Community: By connecting people with plants, we improve quality of life and strengthen the communities we serve.
Arts in the Gardens
Duke Gardens hosts gardening open hours, Arts in the Gardens Workshops (ages 9–12), art exhibits in its Doris Duke Center, special hands-on crafts workshops, and more.