Sunday, September 24 | 1 PM
Sensory-Friendly Performance Information
Ocean Filibuster on Sunday, September 24 at 1 p.m. will be sensory-modified to create a welcoming and comfortable arts experience for people with autism, sensory sensitivities, or other social, learning or cognitive disabilities.
Modifications to the production include:
- House lights will stay at a glow minimum
- Blue lights visible from the audience will indicate that a cue (audio/video/lighting) is about to happen.
- An announcement will be made at the beginning of the show explaining sensory accommodations.
- Free entry and exits will be allowed throughout the performance.
Preparing for the Performance:
Before the performance, please review the Ocean Filibuster Sensory Warnings.
There will be a table in the lobby before the performance where patrons can see and hear selected props as demonstrated by the cast.
Patrons can pick up follow-along booklets for the production, created by “Nothing About Us Without Us” at the University of Houston. Follow-along booklets outline the major plot points of the show for patrons to follow along with during the show to clarify and answer questions. Large-print programs are also available.
To help audience members engage in the performance environment, Duke Arts will be offering a limited number of sensory kits to help personalize performance experiences. These kits can be claimed before or during the performance.
Some of the items included are:
- Over-the-ear headphones to mute loud noises*
- A pen and notepad to take notes or draw with
- A variety of fidget toys such as fidget spinners and pop-its.
Sensory kits are available on a first-come, first-served basis. If all the sensory kits are checked out, there are a limited number of sensory toys available to individually borrow during the performance.
* Headphones and sunglasses must be returned to Duke Arts at the end of the performance, where they will be sanitized and saved for future events. All other items may be kept and taken home, courtesy of Duke Arts.
Tickets for Ocean Filibuster on September 24 are $35 each for adults, or $10 for Duke students and audiences aged 18 and younger. Tickets can be purchased at dukearts.org.