Work in the Arts at Duke! Communications Specialist for Dance & Theater
The Communication Specialist for Dance and Theater Studies is responsible for planning and producing a variety of marketing and communications content for two vibrant arts departments located in the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences.
Communications Specialist, Dance & Theater Studies
The Communication Specialist for Dance and Theater Studies is responsible for planning and producing a variety of marketing and communications content for two vibrant arts departments located in the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences. That work includes writing, editing, and designing content that works across print and digital mediums ranging from websites and social media to advertisements and electronic newsletters.
The person in this role will execute on an established communications strategy in partnership with colleagues in Trinity College and also act as a liaison to Duke Arts and University Communication as needed. Some work outside of normal business hours will be required in order to support performances and other departmental events.
Content Creation (60 percent)
- Routinely create and gather content for both internal-to-Duke and external audiences that reflects faculty and student achievements, funding news, new hires, visiting artists, publications or creative outputs, new and interesting courses, performances, etc.
- Write articles as well as edit and improve content contributed by faculty or students
- Support annual mainstage productions for both departments, aiding in the planning, development, coordination, and promotion of those events
- Develop advertisements (copy and design) in support of those productions and other high-profile events that benefit from paid promotion
- Maintain photo and video archives for each department
Brand Management (30 percent)
- Manage the primary content channels for Dance and Theater Studies, including but not limited to the departmental websites, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, print materials and electronic newsletters
- Uphold the visual identities of Dance and Theater Studies in all promotional materials
Relationship Management/Client Relations (10 percent)
- Build relationships with faculty and staff in each department and develop a thorough understanding of strategic goals and priorities
- Manage relationships and deadlines with external vendors or contractors as needed
- Work closely with the Duke Arts and Trinity College of Arts & Sciences communications teams to ensure sharing of content across the university, with media and with the public
- Ability to work independently with limited oversight
- Ability to balance competing priorities and consistently deliver high quality work, on time and on budget
- Strong writing and editing skills, accompanied by a commitment to attention to detail
- Knowledge of good design principles and an ability to mock up and execute on basic design projects with input from faculty and staff
- Experience with InDesign, Photoshop and other Adobe Creative Suite programs preferred
- Experience with a content management system such as Drupal or WordPress preferred
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, English, or a related field.
This work generally requires at least two years of related experience in advertising, marketing, or media. Experience in higher education is preferred but not required.